Veterans Benefits

Applying for Benefits

Schedule an appointment with our office:  

Office Location: 206 Court Street, Chilton, WI 53014

Phone: (920) 849-1452  Fax: (920) 849-1635


Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday 

Closed weekends and on County holidays


  1. Disability Compensation
  2. VEterans pension
  3. VA Health care
  4. Education
  5. Housing
  6. Burial benefits

Disability Compensation

Disability compensation is a monthly tax-free benefit paid to Veterans who are at least 10% disabled because of injuries or diseases that were incurred in or aggravated during active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training. A disability can apply to physical conditions, such as chronic knee condition, as well as mental health conditions, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). 


The benefit amount is graduated according to the degree of the Veteran's disability on a scale from 0 percent to 100 percent (in increments of 10 percent). Compensation may also to paid for disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disability occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degree of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses. 

If you have dependents, an additional allowance may be added if your combined disability is rated 30% or greater. Your compensation may be offset if you receive military retirement pay, disability severance pay, or separation incentive payments. 


  • Service on active duty, OR
  • Active duty for training, OR
  • Inactive duty training, AND
  • You were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
  • You are at least 10% disabled by an injury or disease that was incurred in or aggravated during active duty or active duty for training, or inactive duty training.

Note: If you were on inactive duty for training, the disability must have resulted from injury, heart attack, or stroke. 

Evidence Required

  • Medical evidence of a current physical or mental disability, AND
  • Evidence of a relationship between your disability and an injury, disease, or event in military service. Medical records or medical opinions are required to establish this relationship. 

Note: Under certain circumstances, VA may conclude that certain current disabilities were caused by service, even if there is no specific evidence proving this in your particular claim. 

Applying for Disability Compensation

Supporting documents required: 

  • Copies of all medical treatment records relation to the condition being claimed. 
    • Doctor's office visit records, hospital records, statements from physicians, and copies of any service medical records. 
  • A copy of all discharge documents (DD-214's),
  • Social Security numbers for your spouse and all eligible dependent children, 
  • Copies of all marriage license for current and all previous spouses,
  • Copies of divorce decrees and/or death certificates from previous spouses,
  • Copies of divorce decrees and/or death certificates for all of your current spouse's previous marriages,
  •  Additional documents may be necessary depending on the individual situation.